Thursday, August 29, 2013

Festive celebration through the eyes of high school students

KATHMANDU, Aug 28: We Nepalis do not require any reason for celebrations. From rejoicing the changes in nature as in Sakela to commemorating the great victories over negative energies as in Holi, we never fail to celebrate any diminutive aspect of life with the stroke of festive energy. Therefore, as mentioned in humorous clichés of Nepal, a foreigner once questioned a Nepali about the deficiency of the vacationing habit in many Nepalis. Smiling to the foreigner’s question, he then replied, “We vacation every year, sir, as we have more than 20 holidays annually allotted for the celebration of festivals.”

However, in recent years, the essence of festivals has degraded with many youths of the country being influenced by the Western lifestyle. Since many of our festivals do not have credible reasoning for their celebration, youngsters have become fundamentally disinterested by such festivals.

Keeping this in mind, we talked to Abha Lal, Biswash Adhikari, Dilasha Manandhar, Kamakshi Kanojia, Pawan Acharya and Smina Adhikari, all second-year A-level students at Rato Bangala School for this edition of Campus Talk. All of them are Hindu by religion, except Smina Adhikari, who is a Christian.


Why do you celebrate festivals?
Abha: I celebrate festivals because I’ve been doing so since my childhood. Therefore, rather than rejoicing on its significance, I consider it to be a part of my lifestyle.
Biswash: For me, festival is not about religion, but more of an opportunity to gather and meet people. Therefore, festival, to me, is a mere chance of eluding from the regular monotonous lifestyle and a splendid occasion for being with your loved ones.

Pawan: Festivals are a part of our culture which we are obliged to follow. And especially with religion being associated with many festivals, celebrating them is just unavoidable.

In the pool of many festivals, there must be some which you might not like. So which aspect of such festival do you condemn and why?
Biswash: As I mentioned earlier, for me festival is all about having fun with my family members. Teej seems to be too sexist, and being a man, I am not entitled to ‘celebrate’ it. Not only that, I think Teej has overexploited the idea of feminism and has emerged as a platform for fashion display, which is economically unviable for many women.

Kamakshi: I just cannot tolerate the widespread animal slaughtering conducted annually during the time of Dashain. It just promotes violence of animal rights and reflects the orthodox notion of our society.

Pawan: In the case of condemning an aspect of a festival, Shivaratri has been drawing my attention lately. Rather than revering Lord Shiva for his positive aspects, many youngsters indulge into drug abuses and alcohol consumption on this day. I too was forced to consume a bit bhaang ko ladoo under peer pressure, which I later thought was a totally unacceptable idea.

Have you ever encountered situations where the way of celebrating your festival has created a mock out of you amongst your peers?
Abha: As I’m from Terai and celebrate Chhat, I was always mocked as ‘Madhise’ when I was kid. But back then everyone was kid, so I don’t really feel sad when I remember such situations.

Smina: When I was in Grade three, I was presenting chocolates and cards to my teachers on the occasion of Christmas. Seeing this action, everyone on my back was laughing at me.

Youths have been particularly allured by Western festivals, while keeping their own culture at stake. To what extent do you think it is acceptable?
Smina: Considering Western culture to be foreign is more of a prejudice, as there are many Nepalis like me, who by birth belong to a so-called ‘foreign religion’. However, one should definitely not abandon his own culture for the sake of pursuing the culture of others. Moreover, I believe people should have a mutual celebration of each others festivals so that religious tolerance develops.

Dilasha: For me, a Nepali who does not celebrate his festival is equivalent to a foreign national. There is no objection in celebrating foreign festivals, until and unless one continues to celebrate his own.

Abha: Cultural preference is one’s human right. Therefore, there’s no objection if anyone gets allured by other cultures and is unwilling to celebrate his native festivals.

Give your opinion on the provision of giving public holidays even in the festivals of minority groups.

Dilasha: I’m always in support for such provisions, as they are a symbol of equality in the nation. Moreover, if there are no holidays on the festivals of the minority, then the chances that the people from other groups celebrating their festival will be minimal and as a result, their festive culture would diminish gradually.

Smina: As I belong to one of the minorities of the country, I know how bad it feels when you have to remain absent during school days, just for celebrating your festival. However, it’s just not possible to provide public holidays in every festival and therefore, I believe that the government should provide holidays only on the major festival of every ethnic group.

Kamakshi: In Nepal many holidays are given in the festivals of the minority groups, even when many people do not celebrate the festivals of the minority. Therefore, I believe that the government should regulate a cultural identity testimonial and provide holidays to only those, who celebrate the particular festival. Republica.

No comments:

Post a Comment